Sunday, April 20, 2008

I don't think that's the right answer....

I don't think that's the right answer" he paused and pushed his glasses back up on his nose. "Think about your patterns - about your past."

He was right, of course. Why is it that people outside of your life - not central to it in any doing kind of way - can see the patterns you are so diligently trying to hide from yourself? I looked back on my life.

Unhappy in a relationship? Marry the guy! It's easier (HA!) than breaking it off.

Unhappy in your marriage? Why grad school, a new house, a new job, a baby or two or three is just the ticket!!

Unhappy after your divorce? With your next relationship? Buy a house! because your permanance and insanity will solve the relationhip issue.

Unhappy again? Move! Don't want to move? Buy a puppy!

Unhappy in your job? Get a new one!

Wait. That last bit actually makes sense - but only if I'm unhappy because of the job not the relationships within it.

I thought for a moment.

It's the relationship, damn it.

I sighed and looked at him. He'd taken his glasses of and was cleaning them. They caught the sunlight just right and the room glowed with rainbow light. He grinned in recognition of my awareness "You're learning" he said, "you're learning."

No comments: