Saturday, September 22, 2007

Wait!

"Wait! That came out wrong!" He said as I gaped open mouthed at him. I didn't care what he had to say, I was done. He either wanted to be with me or he wanted to be with her.

He mistook my silence, my stillness, for forgiveness. he lowered his head and continued.

"Anyway, now she's pregnant and I don't know what to do."

Bricks.
Raining.

On
My
Heart.

I stared at him a moment longer. "Deal with the heart bit later" a voice inside me said. "You know what to do." Galvanized by that certainty I lowered my eyes so that my soul wouldn't destroy the image of coolness I was trying to maintain.

"Well, I know what to do."

I went to the hall closet and pulled down our largest suitcase.

"Pack" I said "Today you are moving out."

"That's not fair! You know it. C'mon. Let's talk this out...."

"Steven, we should have talked BEFORE you slept with her. Now you've made your choice. GET OUT." My voice sounded odd and cold - like I was at the bottom of a dark stone well - chilled to the bone. I could feel the coldness of his deceit griping my shattered heart.

"Please," he nearly begged "I've got no where to go."

HA, I thought and I turned my back. "I'm going out. Don't be here when I get back."

I headed out the door and started toward the shed. Tears blinded me but my feet knew the way.....

No comments: